If you’ve been injured in an accident due to another person’s negligence, you want to be compensated for the medical bills, lost wages, and suffering you endured. The question becomes how to go about it – should you use a do-it-yourself approach, or should you hire a personal injury lawyer?
There are times when you can negotiate a fair settlement for your personal injury claim on your own. Other times, an attorney can make a significant difference in the amount of a settlement – and whether you reach an agreement at all. The guidelines below can help you decide whether to hire a personal injury lawyer or go it alone. You can also contact our office for a free consultation.
Personal injury situations that do not require a lawyer
Some accidents, especially those with minor injuries and willing parties, can be handled without involving legal professionals. Here are a few examples:
- A car accident resulting in minor injuries resulting in little, or no, medical treatment
- A slip or fall at a business, resulting in minor injuries and minimal treatment, where the business agrees to pay any resulting bills plus a little extra for your pain and inconvenience
- A dog bite where the apologetic owner pays for your limited medical care and compensates you for your pain and inconvenience
Personal injury situations that require an injury lawyer
For situations that are not minor, an experienced attorney can make a big impact on your case. It’s especially important to hire an attorney for accidents that involve complicated injuries, permanent injuries, or wrongful death. There’s simply too much at stake to go it alone.
The value of hiring a personal injury attorney
The legal system is complex and intimidating. An attorney can guide you through your personal injury claim with confidence and obtain the settlement you deserve, providing you with the peace of mind your claim is handled professionally. Here are seven benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer:
- Deep knowledge of the law – It takes years of study and experience gained from years of legal practice to become an expert in personal injury law. A friend offering to do some online research for you will not produce the same results.
- The right strategy – An attorney can advise you about the best way to approach your claim, such as filing a civil lawsuit, using an arbitrator, or negotiating an agreement outside the courtroom.
- The right defendants – In some situations, more than one party can be held responsible for an accident. For example, the establishment that served a drunk driver may be held liable if the driver was underage or visibly intoxicated when served. A personal injury lawyer knows who to include in your claim.
- The right process – With every lawsuit, there are important documents that need to be filed by specific deadlines. Your attorney will make sure your documents are in order every step of the way.
- Insight and perspective – A personal injury lawyer will include possible long-term issues as part of the settlement agreement. He can also guide you on realistic settlement amounts based on similar cases in the area.
- Composure – When someone’s mistake turns your life upside down, frustration, anger, and pain are often right at the surface. These emotions can come out at the worst possible times. A lawyer is able to keep his composure as he advocates for you.
- Time and energy – After an accident, your focus should be on your recovery, not on building your legal case. A personal injury lawyer can gather evidence and research your situation to help you get the compensation you deserve.
The Law Office of Gregory E. Price exclusively represents individuals who have been injured by the negligence of others. If you have been injured in Southwest Washington or the greater Portland metropolitan area, click this link to contact us for a free consultation.